Monday, January 10, 2011

What are you Reading?

I love to read - which is probably part of why I am an English teacher! I was always the kid in class with a book under my desk. Which explains why I was unable to help any of my children with their math homework. But you need some verbs conjugated or some symbolism explained - I'm your girl! They don't like any of that though. None of my children love to read the way I do. It makes me sad. One of my daughters is in college right now and I am praying she gets a renewed interest in literature. I would rather read than do just about anything else. However, while school is going on I re-read a lot of what I am teaching and don't have time to read anything new. I am vowing to change that this year. So much to read and so little time!
I just got through with Jan Karon's In The Company of Others.   Jan Karon wrote the Mitford series of which I am such a fan I have read the whole thing twice and the first four books three times. I think that qualifies me as a major geek. I adore them. When she announced that she was ending the series I cried. Seriously. My mother-in-love and sister-in-love are huge fans as well. We talk about the characters as though we know them and live in their town. We mourned the death of our series that we looked forward to continuing into eternity. But she then continued with our favorite characters and they are now called The Father Tim series. Not one of her books has been a disappointment. This latest one finds our favorite Reverend and his precious wife traveling to Ireland and once again sharing the message of Christ and forgiveness with a whole new cast of characters. So if you have been a fan of Mitford, pick up this book. You will be glad you did.

How about you? What are you reading? What do you want to read? Have you read the Mitford series and did you like it?

I am going to try to keep up my book review! Next up is Francis Chan's Crazy Love. I have had it for awhile but haven't gotten around to reading it. I am beginning today. Let me know if you have read it and what you thought. I am also anxious to hear any book suggestions!!

Happy Reading,
Michelle

4 comments:

  1. I just finished reading The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen by Syrie James. It was a fun, easy read. (A fiction novel about Jane's great romance and how he influenced her characters.) I think you would like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know your former teacher very well!! I bet I would like it. Did you see the movie "Becoming Jane"? Sounds similar. I will check it out. Thanks. You are looking more and more beautiful with each post. Can't wait for Evangeline to be here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michelle!
    I have read Crazy Love and loved it like crazy. I have found, since trying to go deeper with God over the last few years, I don't read as much fiction. But when I do, I love Francine Rivers and Maeve Binchey. I like to feel like part of someone's family when I read. BTW, my Christmas tree is still up. Can't seem to part with it yet. And the nativities will stay until Easter. Have a beautiful Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you finish crazy love yet. I read it a couple of years ago and really loved it. He is so refreshing and challenging. I wish I could read it again, but with school starting up , I am kind of busy with required readings for class. Let me know what you thought about the book. Love you, mance

    ReplyDelete