Friday, April 15, 2011

SSMT #8

I can hardly believe that it is the middle of April! And we have already had some 90 degree days. Unbelievable. I didn't get my last memory verse posted and then time got away from me. I didn't want that to happen this time.

I have been reading 1000 Gifts and just soaking it in. Voskamp's perspective on gratitude and thankfulness is resonating with me at this point in my life in a huge way. I told my sweet man the other day that I really feel God telling me in my spirit, "Simplify, Simplify." I don't consider myself an ungrateful person. I can find something to be thankful for in most situations. But this is different. Things can get crazy and seem out of control quickly, can't they? That is why one of my prayers lately has been to have a more eternal perspective on things rather than a worldly one. However I had to realize that is what I had first! Sometimes I just feel so bogged down with all the "stuff" in my life that needs tending to. Stuff that is of no eternal importance whatsoever and can very quickly overwhelm me and cause me to inadvertently get my priorities all out of whack. Maybe it is due to getting older, or maybe God is giving me a teeny bit of that wisdom and discernment I keep asking for, but I want priorities like His. I want to think like Him, respond like Him and desire Him more every day.

That is why my scripture for memory is Philippians 4:8
"Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy think about such things."

Lord, help me to focus on the things that are of real importance. Not the stuff that blurs my vision and distracts my focus from You. Help me to truly learn to give thanks in the smallest things in my day. May gratitude become my instinctive reaction in situations. You are so faithful with me on a daily basis, forgive me those times I don't acknowledge it. Amen.

May you have a blessed day and weekend and may you too think on what is excellent and praiseworthy - He certainly is!

Michelle

2 comments:

  1. I have seen this verse in various forms over the last few weeks...I think God is telling me something. :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this verse and I love you:)

    ReplyDelete